Hasloch/Kreuzwertheim/Wertheim, April 4.2014
From the simple iron hammer to a highly specialized global player in the fields of electronic production equipment, metal components and moulding systems – what has officially started on March 24, 1779 as a simple forge in the Hasel valley has developed over the course of 235 years to an internationally operating corporation, with presently about 1000 employees and an annual turnover of approximately 170 million Euros. This offers a good reason to celebrate, and it provides a welcome occasion for Kurtz Ersa to take a look back, back to the beginnings of their corporate history. “To celebrate this corporate anniversary is a very special event”, notes Prof. Dr. Ralf Jahn, managing director of the Chamber of Industry and Commerce, Mainfranken, during his congratulatory address.
Kurtz Ersa without the iron hammer – unthinkable
At the ceremony commemorating the date of the registration of the forge, almost 235 years later now, the corporation presented to the public the completely renovated former manor house as a future seminar center, and submitted an encompassing company chronicle bearing the title “From the Iron Hammer Works in Hasloch to Kurtz Ersa - A glowing business history from the Spessart region”. This 264-page chronicle was compiled by the historian, archivist and lecturer Dr. Robert Meier from the University of Würzburg, and edited under the leadership of Dr. Andrea H. Schneider, managing director of the Gesellschaft für Unternehmensgeschichte.
“That we always have been committed to our roots is nothing new. The iron hammer works has always been the focal point. Kurtz Ersa without the iron hammer – this could not be imagined“, confirms the chairman of the managing board, Rainer Kurtz. After the many years during which the iron hammer was operated only for demonstration purposes, it was felt that the time has come to take a closer look at the oldest production tool found in the corporation, and to newly define its significant meaning for the corporate culture: “The iron hammer works will, in conjunction with a museum, be part of the ’Kurtz Ersa historic center’. And the heart of the historic center will be the manor house, in which meetings and cultural events will be held”, explains Dipl. Ing. Rainer Kurtz.
By virtue of its spirited and courageous management and energetic and loyal employees, the corporation grew, during the course of six generations, from the small and local iron hammer works in Hasloch to the global player of today. And while Kurtz Ersa wants to continue on its road of sustainable growth, it also would like to make a substantial contribution to the cultural life of the franconian region – for example by organizing a contest for the “Hammer Wine 2014”, which, by the way, was won by a 2012 Silvaner from the vineyards of the Würzburger Bürgerspital. In the name of the partners of the Kurtz Ersa Corporation, Walter Kurtz expressed their gratitude to management for “its vision to use this singular opportunity to create, from what was a homestead for numerous generations, a center for future generations. We think this is great!” And that the fire in the iron hammer works will continue to burn also in the future, the “Smart Foundry 200” project is being realized in close proximity to the site of the iron hammer works. The “Smart Foundry 200” will be one of the most modern hand-mould foundries, world-wide!
Kurtz Ersa – in brief:
Steeped in tradition, the Kurtz Ersa Corporation is, still today, a family owned business. Founded in 1779 as an iron hammer works, the company has since undergone extensive growth, so that today it is an internationally operating conglomerate.
As the umbrella organization, the Kurtz Holding GmbH & Co. Beteiligungs KG holds all shares in the individual companies. It is responsible for the strategic orientation of the group, and it supports the operative units as a central service provider. Its range of products and services includes the business segments „Electronic Production Equipment“, „Metal Components“ und „Moulding Machines“.
Under the Ersa trade name, the Ersa GmbH located in Wertheim, offers the complete range of production equipment for the electronic manufacturing industry. With its encompassing product range of stencil printers, soldering systems, hand soldering tools and rework systems, Ersa offers – worldwide – the most comprehensive product range available from a single source. With the trade name Kurtz, the Kurtz GmbH builds and brings to the market particle foam and casting machines. In addition, Kurtz produces in their foundries iron or aluminum casting for a wide range of customers. And at two locations, sophisticated and demanding sheet metal components and assemblies are produced by MBW Metallbearbeitung Wertheim GmbH.
The Kurtz Ersa Corporation presently employs approximately 1000 employees worldwide, and has an annual turnover in 2013 of 170 Million €. The corporation is active in those technical areas where the market potential is sufficiently large and where, when viewed in comparison to the other suppliers present in the segment, top performances can be realized. As a consequence, it has in many fields the technological leadership or is the world market leader.